* indicates Tonra Lab student author
- Gade, M.R., M.L. Brown, C.M. Tonra, and W.E. Peterman. In revision. Landscape physiology of terrestrial ecotherms across scales and contexts. Conservation Physiology.
- Brunner, A.R.*, P.P. Marra, and C.M. Tonra. In press. Vulnerable Neotropical migratory songbird demonstrates flexibility in space use in response to rainfall change. Ornithology.
- Skinner, A.A.*, M.P. Ward, I. Souza-Cole, J.R. Wright*, F.R. Thompson III, T.J. Benson, S.N. Matthews, C.M. Tonra. In press. High spatiotemporal overlap in the non-breeding season despite variable breeding latitudes in the Eastern Whip-poor-will (Antrostomus vociferus). Diversity and Distributions.
- Pageau, C., J. Sonnleitner, C.M. Tonra, M. Shaikh, and M.W. Reudink. 2021. Evolution of winter molting strategies in European and North American passerines. Ecology and Evolution 11: 10.1002/ece3.8047 (reprint)
- Scarpignato, A.L., K.A. Stein*, E.B. Cohen, P.P. Marra, L.J. Kearns, S. Hallager, and C.M. Tonra. 2021. Full annual cycle tracking of Black‐crowned Night‐Herons suggests wintering areas do not explain differences in colony population trends. Journal of Field Ornithology 92:143-155. (reprint)
- Peacock, J.*, Tonra, C.M., King, J. and Davies, G.M., 2021. Restoration of gallery forest patches improves recruitment of motacú palms (Attalea princeps) while diversifying and increasing wildlife populations. Plos One 16: p.e0250183.(reprint)
- Hauber, M.E., S.K. Heath, and C.M. Tonra. 2020. Direct estimates of breeding site fidelity and natal philopatry in parasitic Brown-headed Cowbirds (Molothrus ater). Ardea 108: 129-137. (reprint).
- Youtz, J., K.D. Miller, E.K. Bowers, S. Rogers, L.P. Bulluck, M. Johnson, B.D. Peer, K.L. Percy, E.I. Johnson, E.M. Ames*, C.M. Tonra, and T.J. Boves. 2020. Bergmann's rule is followed at multiple stages of development in a long-distance migratory songbird, but climate change may alter this relationship. Ecology and Evolution 10: 10.1002/ece3.6721 (reprint)
- Wright, J.R.*, L.L. Powell, S.N. Matthews, C.M. Tonra. 2020. Rusty Blackbirds select areas of greater habitat complexity during stopover. Condor: Ornithological Applications: duaa040. (link)
- Pageau, C., C.M. Tonra, M. Shaikh, N.J. Flood, and M.W. Reudink. 2020. Evolution of moult-migration is directly linked to aridity of the breeding grounds in North American passerines. Biology Letters 16: 20200155. (reprint)
- Ames, E.A.*, M.R. Gade, J.R. Wright*, C.L. Nieman, C.M. Tonra, A.M. Tutterow, C.M. Marroquin, and S.M. Gray. 2020. Striving for population-level conservation: integrating physiology across the biological hierarchy. Conservation Physiology 8: 10.1093/conphys/coaa019. (reprint)
- Reese, J., C. Viverette, C.M Tonra. N.J. Bayly, T.J. Boves, E. Johnson, M. Johnson; P.P. Marra, E.M. Ames*, A. Caguazango, M. DeSaix, A. Matthews, A. Molina, K. Percy, M.C. Slevin, L.P. Bulluck. 2019. Using stable isotopes to estimate migratory connectivity for a patchily-distributed, wetland-associated. Condor: Ornithological Applications 121: duz052 (link)
- Tonra, C.M., J.R. Wright*, and S.N. Matthews. 2019. Remote estimation of overwinter home ranges in an elusive, nocturnal migratory bird. Ecology and Evolution 9: 12586-12599. (reprint)
- Bulluck, L.P., E.M. Ames*, N. Bayly, J. Reese, C. Viverette, J.R. Wright*, A. Caguazango, and C.M. Tonra. 2019. Habitat-dependent occupancy and movement in a migrant songbird highlights the importance of mangroves and forested lagoons in Panama and Colombia. Ecology and Evolution 9: 11064-11077. (reprint)
- Weigand, N., R. Wagner, C.M. Tonra, and V.D. Popescu. 2019. Proximity to highways has limited influence on space use and physiology of terrestrial testudines. European Journal of Wildlife Research 65: 80. (link)
- Tonra, C.M., M. Hallworth, T. Boves, J. Reese, L. Bulluck, M. Johnson, C. Viverette, K. Percy, E.A. Ames*, A. Matthews, M.C. Slevin, R. R. Wilson, and E.I. Johnson. 2019. Concentration of a widespread breeding population in few critically important nonbreeding areas: Migratory connectivity in Prothonotary Warbler. Condor: Ornithological Applications 121: duz019. (reprint)
- DeSaix, M., L.P. Bulluck, A. Eckert, C. Viverette, T.J. Boves, J. Ree, C.M. Tonra, R. Dyer. 2019. Population assignment reveals low migratory connectivity in a weakly structured songbird. Molecular Ecology 28: 2122-2135. (link)
- Tonra, C.M. and M.W. Reudink. 2018. Expanding the traditional definition of molt-migration. Auk: Ornithological Advances 135:1123-1132. (link)
- Reese, J., C.M. Tonra, C. Viverette, P.P. Marra, and L.P. Bulluck. 2018. The influence of age, sex, year, and feather type on hydrogen isotope variation in a wetland-associated songbird. Waterbirds 41:247-256. (link)
- Wright, J.R.*, C.M. Tonra, and L.L. Powell. 2018. Prealternate molt-migration in Rusty Blackbirds and its implications for stopover biology. Condor: Ornithological Applications 120:507-516. (link)
- Wright, J.R.*, L.L. Powell, and C.M Tonra. 2018. Automated telemetry reveals staging behavior in a declining migratory passerine. Auk: Ornithological Advances 135: 461–476. (link)
- Tonra, C.M., K. Sager-Fradkin, and P.P. Marra. 2016. Barriers to salmon migration impact body condition, offspring size, and life history variation in an avian consumer. Ecography DOI: 10.1111/ecog.02014 (link, contact me for reprint, blog article)
- Tonra, C.M., K. Sager-Fradkin, S. Morley, J. Duda, and P.P. Marra. 2015. Rapid return of marine derived nutrients to a freshwater food web following dam removal. Biological Conservation 192:130-134. (link, contact me for reprint, blog article)
- Marra, P.P., E.B. Cohen, S.R. Loss, J. Rutter, and C.M. Tonra. 2015. A call for full annual cycle research in animal ecology. Biology Letters 11: 20150552. (reprint)
- Tonra, C.M., C. Both, and P.P, Marra. 2015. Incorporating site and year-specific deuterium ratios (δ2H) from precipitation into geographic assignments of a migratory bird. Journal of Avian Biology 46: 266-274. (link, contact me for reprint)
- Tonra, C.M., Marini, K.L.D., Marra, P.P., Germain, R.R., Holberton, R.L., and Reudink, M.W. 2014. Color expression in experimentally regrown feathers of an overwintering migratory bird: implications for signaling and seasonal interactions. Ecology and Evolution. 4: 1222-1232 (reprint)
- Tonra, C.M., P.P. Marra, and R.L. Holberton. 2013. Experimental and observational studies of seasonal interactions between overlapping life history stages in a migratory bird. Hormones and Behavior 64: 825–832. (contact me for reprint).
- Croston, R., C.M. Tonra, S.K. Heath, and M.E. Hauber. 2012. Flange color differences in brood parasitic Brown-headed Cowbirds from nests of two host species. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 124: 139-145. (reprint)
- Tonra, C.M., P.P. Marra, and R.L. Holberton. 2011. Migration phenology and winter habitat quality are related to circulating androgen in a long-distance migratory bird. Journal of Avian Biology 42: 397-404. (reprint)
- Tonra, C.M., P.P. Marra, and R.L. Holberton. 2011. Early elevation of testosterone advances migratory preparation in a songbird. Journal of Experimental Biology 214: 2761-2767. (reprint)
- Angelier F., C.M. Tonra, R.L. Holberton, and P.P. Marra. 2011. Short-term changes in body condition in relation to habitat and climate in American redstarts during the non-breeding season. Journal of Avian Biology 42: 355-341 (reprint)
- Angelier F., C.M. Tonra, R.L. Holberton, and P.P. Marra. 2010. How to capture wild passerine species to study baseline corticosterone levels. Journal of Ornithology 151: 415-422. (reprint)
- Tonra, C.M., M.D. Johnson, M.E. Hauber, and S.K. Heath. 2009. Does nesting habitat influence hatching synchrony between brood parasitic brown-headed cowbirds (Molothrus ater) and two hosts? Ecography 32: 497-503. (reprint)
- Tonra, C.M., M.E. Hauber, S.K. Heath, and M.D. Johnson. 2008. Ecological correlates and sex differences in early development of a generalist brood parasite. Auk 125: 205-213. (reprint)